PCFSN Research Digest
The Research Digest is a quarterly publication of the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition. Issues cover a range of topics that includes aspects of sports, physical activity and fitness, physical education, nutrition, and dietetics research. The goal of the publication is to present a balanced, research-to-practice, evidence-based analysis of the topic for educators, sports coaches, public health practitioners and students. Click here for the Research Digests.
Guidelines for Physical Activity & Nutrition
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010: Published every five years since 1980, the guidelines provide evidence-based nutrition information and advice for people age 2 and older.
- Exercise and Physical Activity for Older Adults: From the National Institute on Aging, learn the benefits of exercise for older adults, how to get started, exercises to try, and how to stay active.
- 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans: The first-ever Federal guidelines for physical activity describe the types and amounts of physical activity that offer substantial health benefits to Americans.
- Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans Midcourse Report: Strategies to Increase Physical Activity Among Youth: The report describes intervention strategies for increasing physical activity among youth aged 3 to 17 years in key settings including school, preschool and childcare, community, family and home, and primary health care.
Federal Reports & Plans
Statistics & Indicators
- 2010 Shape of the Nation : Provides a current picture of physical education in the American education system.
- State Indicator Report on Physical Activity: National and state-specific information around physical activity behavior, policy, and environmental supports are included.
- U.S. Physical Activity Statistics: Physical activity data from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System captures responses to physical activity questions that measure a person's physical activity in leisure-time, household, and transportation.