Energize your day with school breakfast!
Healthy students are better students and a nutritious breakfast and learning go hand-in-hand. Studies show that students who eat breakfast benefit both nutritionally and academically. Children who eat breakfast regularly consume more of the nutrients they need to thrive physically and mentally. Students who eat breakfast tend to perform better in the classroom with better test scores, behavior and attendance. The School Breakfast Program now offers healthier meals to help students energize and excel throughout the school day.
One of the most important parts of my training is making sure I eat a healthy breakfast, which helps me perform my best both on the track and off. Don't run on empty, energize your day with healthy school breakfast!Allyson Felix
STATS & FACTS
- The School Breakfast Program is currently available in 90,000 schools and institutions across the country.
- Public and private non-profit schools and institutions are eligible to participate in the School Breakfast Program.
- On average, 13.1 million children participate in the School Breakfast Program on a daily basis---that translates into over 2 billion school breakfasts served every year!
- The School Breakfast Program is a healthy way for students to energize their day. Updated breakfast standards ensure that schools provide students with nutritious choices including more fruits and vegetables, low fat or fat free milk, and whole grain-rich foods.
- The School Breakfast Program reaches students in a variety of ways. Breakfast can be served in the cafeteria, in classrooms, or from carts located anywhere throughout the school, allowing kids to grab their breakfast and go.
- 84% of students who participate in the School Breakfast Program receive their meal for free or at a reduced price---some schools and institutions serve universal free breakfast for all students.
- The School Breakfast Program is growing quickly---total participation increased by 16% between fiscal year 2009 and fiscal year 2012
- Roughly 27% of students enrolled in an institution with the School Breakfast Program currently participate---we must continue to work hard to increase this number!
Our children are truly our future, and how we nourish, support and teach them impacts what they will be able to accomplish.Dr. Ian Smith
By the time I was 11 years old and training daily as a gymnast, I knew that eating right would help me achieve my goals. The goals I had for health, athletics, and academic performance were all tied to eating nutritious foods, and that started with breakfast.Dominique Dawes
Source for Facts & Stats: United States Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service: http://www.fns.usda.gov/pd/cnpmain.htm